Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Book Review: Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo by Kevin Lewis


Chugga Chugga Choo Choo

We have collected a lot of train books along the way, and we have checked out even more books from our wonderful local library.  Our kids can find the train in any book -- even those that aren't focused on trains.  O loves My World by Margaret Wise because it has a train in the background of the last page.  Whatever keeps him interested in books is fine with me!


I thought I'd start by reviewing some of our favorite train books.  Chugga Chugga Choo Choo by Kevin Lewis (illustrated by Daniel Kirk) was the best impulse buy I ever made!  I spotted it in a museum gift shop and bought it without even opening it, and it has become a family bedtime favorite.  This is a board book, light on text and heavy on beautiful illustrations.  Our 1- and 3-year-olds both love it right now, and I expect we’ll get another year or two of heavy use before they outgrow it.  The story follows two dolls as they play engineer on a train in a boys’ bedroom.  The two dolls look like father and son, and I think our daddy’s boy likes to pretend that he and Daddy are out on the rails together.  In the end, we say goodnight to the dolls and the train goes to bed with its owner, a sleeping boy. 

               
The words of the story have a nice, soothing rhythm that is perfect for bedtime.  The illustrations are pleasing to the eye and provide lots to talk about (“what are they loading into the car?  Does that bridge cross an aquarium or an ocean?”)  This book makes a great addition to any train-lover’s collection! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The goal of this blog is to be fun, helpful, and family-friendly. I moderate all comments to ensure they help to meet this goal.